Yet another favorite of the Bellomo from Mom’s cookbooks.
New England Clam Chowder – Makes 8 servings
- 2 bacon slices, diced
- 1/2 C. chopped onion (1 medium)
- 1 C. cubed, pared potato (1 medium)
- 1½ tsp. salt
- Dash pepper
- 3 cans (7½ oz. size) minced clams
- 2 C. milk
- 2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
- 8 soda crackers, crushed
- In medium kettle, sauté bacon until almost crisp.
- Add onion; cook until tender – about 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, salt, pepper, and 1½ C. water; cook 10 minutes.
- Add clams and liquid, milk, and butter; cook 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle in crackers; heat through – do not boil. Serve hot.